The following citations have at least some relevance to the field of computer network time synchronization. Where multiple citations to the same work occur, only the latest should be used; earlier ones are included only for record. Those documents available online are indicated following the citation. Send additions or corrections to Dave Mills (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Abali, B. (email@example.com)
Ahamad, Mustaq (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Bubenik, Rick (email@example.com)
Downing, Alan (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Dunigan, Tom (email@example.com)
Graham, P. (firstname.lastname@example.org.UManitoba.CA)
Malczewski, Frank D. (fdm@WLV.IMSD.CONTEL.COM)
Marzullo, Keith (email@example.com)
Mattern, Friedemann (firstname.lastname@example.org)
McCallum, Doug (email@example.com)
Mills, Dave (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Neiger, Gil (email@example.com)
Partridge. Craig (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Plumb, Colin (email@example.com)
Rajsbaum, Sergio (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Reiher, Peter (reiher@onyx.Jpl.Nasa.Gov)
Strom, Rob (STROM@IBM.COM)
Vera, M (email@example.com.OZ.AU)
Vielmetti, Ed (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Yih, Benny (email@example.com)
- Abali, B., C.B. Stunkel and C. Benveniste. Clock synchronization on a multicomputer. J. Parallel Distributed Computing 40, 1 (1997), 118-130. Please enter the keywords "clock synchronization" to the search engine.
- Allan, D.W. Time and frequency (time-domain) estimation and prediction of precision clocks and oscillators. IEEE Trans. on Ultrasound, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control UFFC-34, 6 (November 1987), 647-654. Also in: Sullivan, D.B., D.W. Allan, D.A. Howe and F.L. Walls (Eds.). Characterization of Clocks and Oscillators. NIST Technical Note 1337, U.S. Department of Commerce, 1990, 121-128.
- Allan, D.W., J.E. Gray and H.E. Machlan. The National Bureau of Standards atomic time scale: generation, stability, accuracy and accessibility. In: Blair, B.E. (Ed.). Time and Frequency Theory and Fundamentals. National Bureau of Standards Monograph 140, U.S. Department of Commerce, 1974, 205-231.
- Allan, D.W., J.H. Shoaf and D. Halford. Statistics of time and frequency data analysis. In: Blair, B.E. (Ed.). Time and Frequency Theory and Fundamentals. National Bureau of Standards Monograph 140, U.S. Department of Commerce, 1974, 151-204.
- Automated Computer Time Service (ACTS). NBS Research Material 8101, U.S. Department of Commerce, 1988.
- Arvind, K. Probabilistic clock synchronization in distributed systems. IEEE Trans. Parallel and Distributed Systems 5, 5 (May 1994), 474-487.
- Attiya, H., A. Herzberg and S. Rajsbaum, Optimal clock synchronization under different delay assumptions. SIAM Journal on Computing 25, 2 (April 1996), 369-3896.
- Awerbuch, B., S. Kutten, Y. Mansour and B. Patt-Shamir. Time optimized self-stabilizing synchronization. Proc. 25th Annual ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing (1993), 652-661.
- Bell Communications Research. Digital Synchronization Network Plan. Technical Advisory TA-NPL-000436, 1 November 1986.
- Berthaud, J.-M. Time synchronization over nutworks using convex closures. IEEE/ADM Trans. on Networking 8, 2 (April 2000), 265-277.
- Bertsekas, D., and R. Gallager. Data Networks. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 1987.
- Beser, J., and B.W. Parkinson. The application of NAVSTAR differential GPS in the civilian community. Navigation 29, 2 (Summer 1982).
- Blair, B.E. Time and frequency dissemination: an overview of principles and techniques. In: Blair, B.E. (Ed.). Time and Frequency Theory and Fundamentals. National Bureau of Standards Monograph 140, U.S. Department of Commerce, 1974, 233-313.
- Calendar. The Encyclopaedia Britannica Macropaedia, 15th ed., vol. 15, pp. 460-477. Encyclopaedia Britannica Co., New York, NY, 1986.
- Chaffee, J.W. Relating the Allan variance to the diffusion coefficients of a linear stochastic differential equation model for precision oscillators. IEEE Trans. Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics and Frequency Control UFFC-34, 6 (November 1987), 655-658.
- Cole, R., and C. Foxcroft. An experiment in clock synchronisation. The Computer Journal 31, 6 (1988), 496-502.
- Crocroft, J., and J.P. Onions. Network Time Protocol (NTP) Over the OSI Remote Operations Service. Network Working Group Report RFC-1165, University College London, June 1990, 10 pp.
- Cristian, F. A probabilistic approach to distributed clock synchronization. Distributed Computing 3 (1989), 146-158.
- Cristian, F., H. Aghili and R. Strong. Clock synchronization in the presence of omission and performance faults, and processor joins. Proc. Sixteenth International Symposium on Fault-Tolerant Computing (July 1986), 218-233.
- Data Encryption Standard. Federal Information Processing Standards Publication 46. National Bureau of Standards, U.S. Department of Commerce, 1977.
- Deering, S.E., and D.R. Cheriton. Multicast routing in datagram internetworks and extended LANs. ACM Trans. Computing Systems 8, 2 (May 1990), 85-100.
- Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency. Internet Protocol. Network Working Group Report RFC-791, USC Information Sciences Institute, September 1981.
- Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency. Internet Control Message Protocol. Network Working Group Report RFC-792, USC Information Sciences Institute, September 1981.
- Dershowitz, N., and E.M. Reingold. Calendrical Calculations. Software Practice and Experience 20, 9 (September 1990), 899-928.
- DES Modes of Operation. Federal Information Processing Standards Publication 81. National Bureau of Standards, U.S. Department of Commerce, December 1980.
- Digital Time Service Functional Specification Version T.1.0.5. Digital Equipment Corporation, 1989.
- Dolev, D., J. Halpern, B. Simons and R. Strong. Dynamic fault-tolerant clock synchronization. JACM 42, 1 (January 1995), 143-185.
- Dolev, D., N. Lynch, S. Pinter, E. Stark and W. Weihl. Reaching approximate agreement in the presence of faults. Proc. Third Symposium on Reliability in Distributed Software and Database Systems (October 1983, 145-154.
- Dunigan, T.H. Hypercube clock synchronization. Concurrency: Software Practice and Experience 4, 3 (May 1992), 257-268.
- Frank, R.L. History of LORAN-C. Navigation 29, 1 (Spring 1982).
- Dwork, C. Knowledge and common knowledge in a Byzantine environment: crash failures. Information and Computation 88 (1990), 156-186.
- Guino, B. Some properties of algorithms for atomic time scales. Metrologia 24 (1987), 195-198.
- Goud, M.G., and T. Herman. Stablizing Unison. Information Processing Letters 35 (1990), 171-175.
- Gusella, R., and S. Zatti. The Berkeley UNIX 4.3BSD time synchronization protocol: protocol specification. Technical Report UCB/CSD 85/250, University of California, Berkeley, June 1985.
- Gusella, R., and S. Zatti. TEMPO - A network time controller for a distributed Berkeley UNIX system. IEEE Distributed Processing Technical Committee Newsletter 6, NoSI-2 (June 1984), 7-15. Also in: Proc. Summer 1984 USENIX (Salt Lake City, June 1984).
- Hac, A., and C. Xue. Synchronization in multimedia data retrieval. Int. J. Network Mgmt., Vol. 7 (1997), 33-62.
- Halpern, J.Y., B. Simons, R. Strong and D. Dolev. Fault-tolerant clock synchronization. Proc. ACM Third Annual Symposium on Principles of Distributed Computing (August 1984), 89-102.
- Jefferson, D.R. Virtual time. Proc. ACM Trans. Programming Languages and Systems 7, 3 (July 1985), 404-425.
- Jones, R.H., and P.V. Tryon. Continuous time series models for unequally spaced data applied to modelling atomic clocks. SIAM J. Sci. Stat. Comput. 4, 1 (January 1987), 71-81.
- Jones, R.H., and P.V. Tryon. Estimating time from atomic clocks. J. Research of the National Bureau of Standards 88, 1 (January-February 1983), 17-24.
- Kajackas, A. On synchronization of communications networks with varying channel delays. IEEE Trans. Communications 28, 8 (August 1980), 1267-1268.
- Kessels, J.L.W. Two designs of a fault-tolerant clocking system. IEEE Trans. Computers C-33, 10 (October 1984), 913-919.
- Kopetz, H., and W. Ochsenreiter. Clock synchronization in distributed real-time systems. IEEE Trans. Computers C-36, 8 (August 1987), 933-939.
- Krishna, C.M., K.G. Shin and R.W. Butler. Ensuring fault toleance of phase-locked clocks. IEEE Trans. Computers COM-34, 8 (August 1985), 752-756.
- Kugelmass, S.D., and K. Steiglitz. An upper bound on expected clock skew in synchronous systems. IEEE Trans. Computers COM-39, 12 (December 1990), 1475-1477.
- Liao, C., M. Martonosi, and D. Clark. Experience with an adaptive globally-synchronizing clock algorithm. Proc. 11th Annual ACM Simposium on Parallel Algorithms and Architecture (Saint Malo, June 1999), 106-114.
- Liskov, B. Practical uses of synchronized clocks in distributed systems. Proc. 10th Annual ACM Symposium on Principles of Distributed Computing (Montreal, April 1991), 1-9.
- Lamport, L., Time, clocks and the ordering of events in a distributed system. Comm. ACM 21, 7 (July 1978), 558-565.
- Lamport, L., and P.M. Melliar-Smith. Synchronizing clocks in the presence of faults. JACM 32, 1 (January 1985), 52-78.
- Levine, J. An algorithm to synchronize the time of a computer to universal time. IEEE Trans. on Networking 3, 1 (February 1995), 42-50.
- Levine, J., M. Weiss, D.D. Davis, D.W. Allan, and D.B. Sullivan. The NIST automated computer time service. J. Research National Institute of Standards and Technology 94, 5 (September-October 1989), 311-321.
- Lindsay, W.C., and A.V. Kantak. Network synchronization of random signals. IEEE Trans. Communications COM-28, 8 (August 1980), 1260-1266.
- Liskov, B., L. Shrira and J. Wroclawski. Efficient at-most-once messages based on synchronized clocks. ACM Trans. Computer Systems 9, 2 (May 1991), 125-142.
- Lu, M., D. Zhang. Analysis of self-stabilizing clock synchronization by means of stochastic Petri nets. IEEE Trans. Computers 39, 5 (May 1990), 597-604.
- Lundelius, J., and N.A. Lynch. A new fault-tolerant algorithm for clock synchronization. Proc. Third Annual ACM Symposium on Principles of Distributed Computing (August 1984), 75-88.
- Marzullo, K., and S. Owicki. Maintaining the time in a distributed system. ACM Operating Systems Review 19, 3 (July 1985), 44-54.
- Mattern, F. Virtual time and global states of distributed systems. International Workshop on Parallel and Distributed Algorithms, M. Cosnard, et al, (Eds), Elsevier Science Publishers B.V., 1989, 215-226.
- Levine, J., and D. Mills. Using the Network Time Protocol to transmit International Atomic Time (TAI). Proc. Precision Time and Time Interval (PTTI) Applications and Planning Meeting (Reston VA, November 2000), 431-439. Paper: PostScript | PDF
- Mills, D.L., and P.-H. Kamp. The nanokernel. Proc. Precision Time and Time Interval (PTTI) Applications and Planning Meeting (Reston VA, November 2000), 423-430. Paper: PostScript | PDF, Slides: PostScript | PDF | PowerPoint
- Mills, D.L. Public key cryptography for the Network Time Protocol. Electrical Engineering Report 00-5-1, University of Delaware, May 2000. 23 pp. Abstract: PostScript | PDF, Body: PostScript | PDF
- Mills, D.L. Adaptive hybrid clock discipline algorithm for the Network Time Protocol. IEEE/ACM Trans. on Networking 6, 5 (October 1998), 505-514. PostScript | PDF
- Mills, D.L. Improved algorithms for synchronizing computer network clocks. IEEE/ACM Trans. on Networks (June 1995), 245-254. (PostScript).
- Mills, D.L. Internet time synchronization: the Network Time Protocol. IEEE Trans. Communications COM-39, 10 (October 1991), 1482-1493. PostScript | PDF Also in: Yang, Z., and T.A. Marsland (Eds.). Global States and Time in Distributed Systems. IEEE Computer Society Press, Los Alamitos, CA, 1994, 91-102. Condensed from: Ibid. Network Working Group Report RFC-1129, University of Delaware, October 1989. Also published as: Electrical Engineering Department Report 89-9-1, University of Delaware, September 1989.
- Mills, D.L. On the chronology and metrology of computer network timescales and their application to the Network Time Protocol. ACM Computer Communications Review 21, 5 (October 1991), 8-17. PostScript | PDF
- Mills, D.L. Precision synchronization of computer network clocks. ACM Computer Communication Review 24, 2 (April 1994). 28-43. PostScript | PDF Condensed from: Ibid. Electrical Engineering Department Report 93-11-1, University of Delaware, November 1993, 66 pp.
- Mitra, D. Network synchronization: analysis of a hybrid of master-slave and mutual synchronization. IEEE Trans. Communications COM-28, 8 (August 1980), 1245-1259.
- Mockapetris, P. Domain names - concepts and facilities. Network Working Group Report RFC-1034, USC Information Sciences Institute, November 1987.
- Mogul, J., D. Mills, J. Brittenson, J. Stone and U. Windl. Pulse-per-second API for Unix-like operating systems, version 1. Request for Comments RFC-2783, Internet Engineering Task Force, March 2000, 31 pp. ASCII
- Morley, S.G., G.W. Brainerd and R.J. Sharer. The Ancient Maya, 4th ed., pp. 598-600. Stanford University Press, Stanford, CA, 1983.
- Morgan, C. Global and logical time in distributed algorithms. Information Processing Letters 20 (1985), 189-194.
- Moyer, G. The Gregorian Calendar. Scientific American 246, 5 (May 1982), 144-152.
- Munter, E.A. Synchronized clocks for the DMS-100 family. IEEE Trans. Communications 28, 8, (August 1980), 1276-1284.
- Neiger, G., and S. Toueg. Substituting for real time and common knowledge in asynchronous. Proc. ACM SIGPLAN/SIGOPS Symposium on Principles of Distributed Computing (1987), 281-293.
- NIST Time and Frequency Dissemination Services. NBS Special Publication 432 (Revised 1990), National Institute of Science and Technology, U.S. Department of Commerce, 1990.
- Ostrovsky, R., and B. Patt-Shamir. Optimal and efficient clock synchronization under drifting clocks. Proc. ACM Annual Symposium on Principles of Distributed Computing (Atlanta, May 1999), 3-12.
- Patt-Shamir, B., and S. Rajsbaum. A theory of clock synchronization. Proc. 26th Annual ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing (Montreal, May 1994), 810-819.
- Paxson, V. On calibrating measurements of packet transit times. Proc. Joint Internet Conference on Measurements and Modelling of Computer Systems, (Madison, June 1998), 11-21.
- Pease, M., R. Shostak and L. Lamport. Reaching agreement in the presence of faults. JACM 27, 2 (April 1980), 228-234.
- Percival, D.B. The U.S. Naval Observatory Clock Time Scales. IEEE Trans. Instrumentation and Measurement IM-27, 4 (December 1978), 376-385.
- Peterson, L.L. Preserving context information in an IPC abstraction. Proc. Sixth symposium on Reliability in Distributed Software and Database Systems (March 1987), 22-31.
- Postel, J. Daytime protocol. Network Working Group Report RFC-867, USC Information Sciences Institute, May 1983.
- Postel, J. Time protocol. Network Working Group Report RFC-868, USC Information Sciences Institute, May 1983.
- Postel, J. User Datagram Protocol. Network Working Group Report RFC-768, USC Information Sciences Institute, August 1980.
- Ramanathan, P., D.D. Kandlur and K.G. Shin. Hardware-assisted software clock synchronization for homogeneous distributed systems. IEEE Trans. Computers C-39, 4 (April 1990), 514-524.
- Ramanathan, P., K.G. Shin and R.W. Butler. Fault-tolerant clock synchronization in distributed systems. IEEE Computer 23, 10 (October 1990), 33-42.
- Rawley, L.A., J.H. Taylor, M.M. Davis and D.W. Allan. Millisecond pulsar PSR 1937+21: a highly stable clock. Science 238 (6 November 1987), 761-765.
- Rickert, N.W. Non Byzantine clock synchronization - a programming experiment. ACM Operating Systems Review 22, 1 (January 1988), 73-78.
- Schneider, F.B. A paradigm for reliable clock synchronization. Department of Computer Science Technical Report TR 86-735, Cornell University, February 1986.
- Schneider, F.B. Understanding protocols for Byzantine clock synchronization. Department of Computer Science Report TR 87-859, Cornell University, August 1987.
- ScienceScope. Sounding out the threat of global warning. Science 251 (8 February 1991), 615.
- Sethi, A.S., H. Gao, and D.L. Mills. Management of the Network Time Protocol (NTP) with SNMP. Computer and Information Sciences Report 98-09, University of Delaware, November 1997, 32 pp. PostScript | PDF
- Shin, K.G., and P. Ramanathan. Clock synchronization of a large multiprocessor system in the presence of malicious faults. IEEE Trans. Computers C-36, 1 (January 1987), 2-12.
- Shin, K.G., and P. Ramanathan. Transmission delays in hardware clock synchronization. IEEE Trans. Computers C-37, 11 (November 1988), 1465-1467.
- Smith, J. Modern Communications Circuits. McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, 1986.
- Snow, C.R. A multi-protocol campus time server. Software Practice and Experience 21, 9 (September 1991).
- Srikanth, T.K., and S. Toueg. Optimal clock synchronization. JACM 34, 3 (July 1987), 626-645.
- Stein, S.R. Frequency and time - their measurement and characterization (Chapter 12). In: E.A. Gerber and A. Ballato (Eds.). Precision Frequency Control, Vol. 2, Academic Press, New York 1985, 191-232, 399-416. Also in: Sullivan, D.B., D.W. Allan, D.A. Howe and F.L. Walls (Eds.). Characterization of Clocks and Oscillators. National Institute of Standards and Technology Technical Note 1337, U.S. Government Printing Office (January 1990), TN61-TN119.
- Storz, W., and G. Beling. Transmitting time-critical data over heterogeneous subnetworks using standardized protocols. Mobile Networks and Applications 2, Balzer Science Publishers (1997), 243-249.
- Strom, R.E., and S. Yemini. Optimistic recovery in distributed systems. ACM Trans. on Computer Systems 3, 3 (August 1985), 204-226.
- Su, Z. A specification of the Internet protocol (IP) timestamp option. Network Working Group Report RFC-781. SRI International, May 1981.
- Tel, G., E. Korach and S. Zaks. Synchronizing ABD networks. IEEE/ACM Trans. on Networking 2, 1 (February 1994), 66-69.
- Time. The Encyclopaedia Britannica Macropaedia, 15th ed., vol. 28, pp. 652-664. Encyclopaedia Britannica Co., New York, NY, 1986.
- Time and Frequency Dissemination Services. NBS Special Publication 432, U.S. Department of Commerce, 1979.
- Tripathi, S.K., and S.H. Chang. ETempo, a clock synchronization algorithm for hierarchical LANs - implementation and measurements. Systems Research Center Technical Report TR-86-48, University of Maryland, 25 pp.
- Tryon, P.V., and R.H. Jones. Estimation of parameters in models for cesium beam atomic clocks. J. Research of the National Bureau of Standards 88, 1 (January-February 1983).
- Vasanthavada, N., and P.N. Marinos. Synchronization of fault-tolerant clocks in the presence of malicious failures. IEEE Trans. Computers C-37, 4 (April 1988), 440-448.
- Vass, E.R. OMEGA navigation system: present status and plans 1977-1980. Navigation 25, 1 (Spring 1978).
- Weiss, M.A., D.W. Allan and T.K. Peppler. A study of the NBS time scale algorithm. IEEE Trans. Instrumentation and Measurement 38, 2 (April 1989), 631-635.
- Welch, J.L. Simulating synchronous processors. Information and Computation 74, 2 (August 1987), 159-171.
- Wilcox, D.R. Backplane bus distributed realtime clock synchronization. Technical Report 1400, Naval Ocean Systems Center, December 1990, 42 pp.
- Wilcox, D.R. Local area network distributed realtime clock synchronization. Technical Report 1466, Naval Ocean Systems Center, November 1991, 70 pp.