The Association for Computing Machinery, ACM, is the primary society
for computer science professionals in industry, academia, and government.
Each fall ACM holds regional programming contests around the world. The top few teams from
each region then participate in an international finals competition, usually in February.
This is the premier programming contest in the world.
Our region, the Mid-Atlantic, is one of the
largest and the regional contest is held simultaneously at several sites. The contest itself
is a one day, all day affair, on Saturday, November 5, 2016.
The contest proper is a 5 hour period of intense programming in which teams of three students are given
one computer and attempt to solve as many as possible as fast as possible from a set of about 8
Delaware normally has fielded one or two teams, and they have done very well in the past.
Several teams have gone on to the international finals, and a '95-'96 team ranked 7th in the world.
If you like a challenge and would like to hone your programming skills, organize a team for the contest!
Get organized at the beginning of the fall term for the Mid_Atlantic Regional contest held on the first or second Saturday in November.
In the past we have done weekly practice sessions in Sept and Oct and have participated in a warmup practice contest.
Though retired, I'm willing to help organize: Prof. Emeritus David Saunders, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Annual ACM International Collegiate Programming Contests (and others)
- UD has not participated since 2016. Organize a team!
- The 2016 ACM Mid-Atlantic Regional contest was held November 5, 2016.
For us it was a building year. We didn't finish high. Next time!
- The 2015 ACM Mid-Atlantic Regional contest was held November 7, 2015.
We placed 33th of 185 teams. Another excellent result!
- The 2014 ACM Mid-Atlantic Regional contest is written up in UDaily here.
We placed 12th of 188 teams. A fine showing!
- The 2010 ACM Mid-Atlantic Regional contest is written up in UDaily here.
We were 24th out of 157 teams. Not bad!
- The 2009 ACM Mid-Atlantic Regional contest - we didn't disgrace ourselves, but we didn't score high either. We'll show 'em next year!
- The 2008 ACM Mid-Atlantic Regional contest is written up in UDaily here.
- The 2007 ACM Mid-Atlantic Regional contest is written up in UDaily here. UD Gold went on to the International Finals in Banff, Alberta with coach Ben Breech.
- The 2007 Unnamed UD Internet Programming Contest, run by our own Ben Breech, was a big success for the UDel teams.
- The 2006 ACM Mid-Atlantic Regional contest ...
- The 2005 ACM Mid-Atlantic Regional contest was held on Saturday, Nov 12.
Team UD Gold scored 18th of 153 teams. See UDaily archive for story.
- Photos from the
Annual ACM Mid-Atlantic Regional contest, held on Saturday, Nov 13, 2004.
- The 28th Annual ACM
International Collegiate Programming Contest,
Mid-Atlantic Regional contest was held on Saturday, Nov 8, 2003.
- The contest involved 153 teams of 3 competing at 9 sites.
- UDel teams traveled to Washington College where they were among
16 teams from Drexel, Hood, Navy, Rowan, Temple, UDel, Washcoll, and Coll of
- UDel Gold (Parag Mital, Bill Moyers, and Richard Seagraves)
placed first at site and 21st overall in the Mid-Atlantic
- UDel's team190 (Pete Curt, Ray Wildman, and David Guralnick)
tied for 46th place in the region.
- The 27th Annual ACM International Collegiate Programming Contest,
We went to the Washington College site for the
Mid-Atlantic Regional contest
Nov 9, 2002. A practice contest.
- The 26th Annual ACM Collegiate Programming Contest, 2001.
- The 25th Annual ACM Collegiate Programming Contest, 2000.
University of Delaware Invitational Programming Contest
held on Saturday, April 15, 2000.
- UD internet programming contest, Feb 26, 2000.
Winners: 1st Shippensburg, 2nd Rowan, 3rd UDel.
- The 24th Annual ACM Collegiate Programming Contest, 1999-2000.
- The 23rd Annual ACM Collegiate Programming Contest, 1998-99.
- Results of the 22nd Annual ACM Collegiate Programming Contest, 1997-98.
Professor Keith Decker was the contact person for the programming contest
1997 ACM Mid-Atlantic Regional contest .
- Again this year
U. Delaware was a site of the Mid-Atlantic contest,
- The finals.
- The 1997 Delaware teams.
- Results of the 21st Annual ACM Collegiate Programming Contest, 1996-97.
- Results of the 20th Annual ACM Collegiate Programming Contest, 1995-96.
International finals held February 17, 1996 in Philadelphia, PA.
and David Stabosz.
Representing Delaware, this team ranked 7th in the world.
Here are the Final standings.
- ACM Mid-Atlantic Regional Programming Contest, November 11, 1995.
- Results of the 19th Annual ACM Collegiate Programming Contest, 1994-95.
- A Delaware team: Marjeta Cedilnik, Jon Dowling, and Terry Haddock
participated in the International finals held in February 1995 in
- ACM Mid-Atlantic Regional Programming Contest, November 1994.
Delaware team advances to finals!
- Local Sponsors:
Our ACM student chapter and
Upsilon Pi Epsilon