CISC 879 Latest Info
CISC 879 Parallel Computation, Spring, 2003
Info links and log of activity (in reverse chronological order)
Some useful links:
The Ian Foster online.
table of contents.
The Pacheco texbook web page.
The MPI Reference Manual.
(old draft) MPI Manual including dated local info.
Lecture topics assignments.
Homework exercises list
This page contains a brief summary of each class topic and the
associated reading and homework assignments.
This page morphs frequently, being updated at least weekly.
Reload to avoid being shown a stale version from your browser cache.
Most recent items are at the top.
Last updated May 15 .
Thu May 22, 2:00-4:00pm, in Smith 102a, project presentations
Thu May 15, 7:00pm
- parallel convex hull algorithms
- parallel sorting
- summary remarks
Thu May 8, 7:00pm
- Zhendong Wan - Lin Alg problems in bounded fan-in circuit model
- Saunders - more on isoefficiency
- Saunders - convex hull algorithms
Thu May 1, 7:00pm
- Georgios Oikonomou - Bulk-Synchronous Parallel Computation Model
- Gaurav Arora - Dynamics of Nitrogen in Carbon Nanotubes.
- Saunders - intro to isoefficiency concept
Thu Apr 24, 7:00pm
- Xueyong Zhi - Debugging and performance tools
- Saunders - Some background on factoring large integers
- Joseph Stelmach - quantum computing
Thu Apr 17, 7:00pm
- Ahmet Duran - parallel random number generation
- Yen-Chi Lin - historic machines
- Saunders - Amdahl's law and other remarks about performance prediction
Thu Apr 10, 7:00pm
- Chun Wu - Parallel computing applied to protein folding
- Saunders - project topic ideas
- Saunders - Parallel FFT
Thu Mar 27, 7:00pm
- Preethi Natarajan - Condor
- Tae Kim - Linda
- Saunders - Tuplespace implementation issues
Thu Mar 20, 7:00pm No class.
Thu Mar 13, 7:00pm
From now on see homework exercise list for assignments.
No more duplicate links on this pg next to the lecture notice.
- Xiaojin Niu - Compositional C++
- Hari Palakurthi - OpenMP
- Saunders - irregular computations -
Reading: Foster chapter 2. Esp section 2.5
Thu Mar 06, 7:00pm in 308 Gore Hall
Thu Feb 27, 7:00pm in 308 Gore Hall
- Saunders- Fox alg with and without MPI Collective communications
Homework exercise: hw3.html.
- Tamal Basu - MPI Topologies
Homework exercise: topo.txt.
- Ibrahim Saruhan - High Performance Fortran.
Homework exercise: hpf.txt.
Reading: hpf.ppt, handout exerpt of Koelbel et al.
Thu Feb 20, 7:00pm in Smith 220.
- Saunders - MPI comments, barrier, timing - Read MPI manual material.
Homework exercise: read and use ping-pong.c
- Danalis - Posix threads, unix processes, sockets.
Homework exercise and reading references: hw4.html
- Saunders - Matrix Multiplication. Read Foster Ch 4.6, Ch 8.3.
Thu Feb 13, 8:00am
Tue Feb 11: Hello, grid circuit model.
Reading: Foster chapter 1.
- AT2 arguments. (Reference: Ullman, Ch 2)
- MPI basics. Reading: Foster section 8.2
- Some student lecture topics