University of Delaware
Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering
313 Evans Hall
Newark DE 19716
I have a joint appointment in the Department of Computer & Information Sciences. I am a Past President of the University of Delaware Faculty Senate and was a long time Associate Chair of the ECE Departmet in charge of the undergraduate program.
I have held visiting positions at the University of Michigan (1992), Tampere University of Technology in Tampere, Finland (1999), the Australian Defence Force Academy in Canberra, Australia (2000), the University of Electronic Science and Technology of China in Chengdu, China, and the Idaho National Laboratory.
My textbook, Probability, Statistics, and Random Signals, is out. It is available through my publisher, Oxford University Press, and through Amazon.com.
My book is designed for a junior or senior year class, but many reviewers suggested they may use it in their graduate classes. It has lots of carefully drawn illustrations, computational examples using Matlab, Python, and R, and many worked out examples.
The first nine chapters cover discrete and continuous probability. The remaining five chapters cover statistics, hypothesis testing, random vectors and linear regression, and random processes.
Contact me if you are interested in using the text in your class or your studies. The Solutions Manual has solutions for every homework problem (writing solutions to every problem took me much longer than I anticipated!).
- PhD, Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Princeton University, 1984. My dissertation, "Approaches and Algorithms for Robust Signal Processing," was supervised by Prof. Bradley Dickinson.
- MS, Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Princeton University, 1982.
- BS, Applied and Engineering Physics, Cornell University, 1980, Cum Laude (the highest category for engineering students). I rowed freshman lightweight crew and participated in various intramural sports.
I regularly teach the following courses:
- ELEG 306, Digital Signal Processing
- ELEG 310, Random Signals and Noise
Over the years, I have also taught analog and digital circuits and graduate courses in communications, signal processing, and information theory.
Two years ago Prof. Rossi (Math) and I took a group of UD students to Melbourne, Australia, for a Study Abroad program. This past January I took a group to London. Next year, Rossi and I plan to return to Melbourne.
I've published over 100 papers in various journals and technical conferences. See Publications for the list.
My main research areas are the following:
- Information security, principally steganography, steganalysis, and message authentication.
- Signal and Image Processing, principally linear and nonlinear filtering, lossless and lossy data compression.
- Computational Algorithms for robust regression, L1 estimation, and order statistic probabilities.
I have three patents:
- U. S. Patent #8770998, “Safety System Electrical Connection and Methods,” C. G. Boncelet Jr, 2014.
- U. S. Patent #6557103, “Spread Spectrum Image Steganography,” C. G. Boncelet Jr., L. M. Marvel, and C. T. Retter.
- U. S. Patent #6556689, “Watermarking Methods for Digital Images and Videos,” X. Xia, C. G. Boncelet Jr., and G. Arce.
I consult in various ways. Please contact me for more details.
- Yearly with NSF on various signal processing and communications panels.
- Patent Infringement. Over the past decade or so, I have worked
with a number of law firms as an expert witness in various cases
in wireless communications, signal processing, and
- Covington & Burling
- Ropes & Gray
- Gibson, Dunn, & Crutcher
- Kirkland & Ellis (twice)
- Cooley, Godward, & Kronish
- McCarter & English
- Digital signal processing and data analysis. I am expert in these technical areas and programming in Matlab, Python, and R.
I have started a blog focusing on
- Python and IPython applications in signal processing, probability, and data analysis.
- Teaching and curriculum development.
- Golf and baseball (can't work all day!)
- Current events (issues, not people).
I am married with two adult children. I enjoy various hobbies: golf, bicycling (on a recumbent), basketball, tennis, hiking and camping, and a bit of woodworking.
My CV can be found here.